Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

BUS-ted.

There have been a couple of consequences of my misfortune from last Saturday. First of all, the destruction of my camera means that there are now no pictures on the front page of this blog for the first time in as long as I can remember (those who want photographic enticements can flick through the archives). Another was that I actually had to get a bus to work the first two days of this week. Now that was an experience in itself.

First of all, public transport in these parts (the train to Brisbane being the exception), is notoriously unreliable. This is an even bigger problem for me, given that I'm used to going virtually everywhere under my own steam. Having to suddenly rely on the time somebody else is going to show up is surprisingly stressful. Then, of course, on a bus you're also susceptible to traffic jams. Thankfully it's all been relatively benign this week (glad I didn't attempt it in the school holidays), but it's still a big step down from being immune to traffic jams on my bike.

Let's also not forget the environment of the bus itself. I'm referring to what one experiences once they board. Many years ago, someone on the old bicycleforum site compared a suburban train to a public urinal, and the same comparison can be expanded to a suburban bus. Everyone generally stares at the floor, or their lap, or out the window if they're sitting on that side, anything to avoid looking at each other. There seems to be a genuine fear that the other person might actually talk to them. This isn't so bad if you have something to read, but I forgot to bring a book the second day. Then you've got the idiots who want to argue with the bus driver about where the bus is actually going (actually, they may have a point, the bus driver managed to miss my stop on the way to work on Tuesday). The few people on the bus who do engage in conversation (i.e. those who already know each other) insist on doing so at the top of their voice, as if anybody in the next suburb really cares what they have to say.

I could go on and on, suffice to say that I was glad to get back on the bike this morning. Right now I'm only riding to work, not much, but hopefully I can build for the weekend. On the bike I'm free to look at whatever I like, the bike offers me the reliability that public transport does not, it offers me the peace that people yelling at each other do not, in short, it lets me live! And as I move closer to acquiring a new steed, I make yet another vow to be more careful, to never have to subject myself to those other consequences in the future. Of course, I've made that vow before.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of camera? And what exactly was the damage to it?? (was it not in a case of some type?)

And yeah, public transit can be annoying. In the winter months, (for me about 3-5 months out of the year) I use the public transit. It's not too bad for me since I live in downtown Toronto and just need the subway (rather fast to get to the new campus). I am amazed as to how much I actually get to read. :)

8:54 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

It was a Kodak Easyshot camera. The damage externally was a big dint in the camera itself and some big cracks in the glass on the LCD display -- apart from the fact that nothing now happens when I try to turn it on.

The thing is, to get it repaired I'm up for $80 just to get Kodak to look at it (plus whatever it costs to send it to Melbourne), and even then they're likely to tell me it can't be fixed.

I'm going to look into a padded case for the replacement this weekend.

9:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hrmm... Can you at least yank out the harddrive or flash card to recover the photos?

2:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home